Sunday, May 17, 2015

Week 44 (May 17, 2015 Camiling, Philippines)

Dear Mom,
I almost died yesterday. Just kidding. I did get sick though. I want to say REALLY sick, but I don't think I have any evidence to back it up. I spent 7 hours wanting to throw up, but not throwing up. I was then life flighted to the Branch President's house next door where he gave me some moon pills. He says that's what the astronauts took when they went to the moon. Sweet, I guess I'm practically Louie Armstrong now. Anyway, I took the pills and went straight to bed. When I woke up this morning, my stomach seemed to have settled down a bit, but I was hit with a massive headache and just a really weak body. I studied Jesus the Christ for a little bit, and drank some Pocari Sweat, and then helped a bit. Still in recovery, but things seem to be going a bit better.

I cooked more foods this week! (That's probably why I almost died yesterday) I made adobo again, but the first time was better. This time tasted super salty, super sour, super sweet, and super spicy. Too much soy sauce, too much vinegar, too much brown sugar, and too many Filipino Death Peppers. However, I did cook a different type of adobo the next day, and that was pretty good. Apparently, green beans are an acceptable substitute for pork chunks. The more you know!

Jonathan, Joseph, Franklin, and Nelson all attended church yesterday! Rey Angelo hides from us, but his twin brother, Rey Anthony, likes seeing us. However, his uncle Raymond, the Less Active we're returning, sort of disappeared before our appointment with him on Saturday, and didn't come back to take Rey Anthony to church, so.... Ya, I don't know what's going to happen with them. I feel like Joseph and Nelson are definitely making their way towards baptism, but Jonathan and Franklin seem to just be going along with it while they're still friends with the American. Hopefully I'm wrong :)

We've been seeing the work out here in Pindangan steadily increase from week to week. It's slow, but it's happening. It's awesome to see what kinds of changes we can work with faith in the Lord and His divine help. I like something that I think I heard from Jordan Terry. It's up to us to just keep pushing the rock. The Lord will decide when to let it move.

Apparently, we're preparing for typhoon season right now. I kept seeing all these super massive trees being cut down and sawed through. I asked Elder Ronquillo about it, and he said it's so no one gets hut when they get torn out of the ground. He said WHEN! As in, not "if", but "when!" Sort of super duper excited, but also extremely terrified. Should be a party.

Love you Mom!! Thanks for the letters and love!!

PS. For the package, could you send me some Persa Gel and my Pocket knife? And please, just use my money. I can't think of anything else I'm in need or great want of.


PPS. I actually didn't know about Luke. I don't seem to hear anything from my friends before the mission, besides Maia. That's it though. Dough heads.

PPPS. I know Louie Armstrong isn't the Astronaut, he's the biker that did drugs in France.

Love you!

Sorry! Almost forgot the best part!

2 Corinthians 12

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

This is a really cool scripture I found while reading a conference talk. What I feel Paul is saying is that sometimes, we plead and plead to the Lord that he'll remove our trials and afflictions, but we fail to realize that it is only in the most trying parts of our lives that we are most blessed by the Lord's loving hand. As Shaun said, the Lord will never carry us in our trials or afflictions. We still need to accept and experience these personally in order to learn and grow from them. However, the Lord will offer us his strength in our time of weakness. I can't express myself quite the way I want, but that's just one thing I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment