Sunday, December 20, 2015

Week 75 (Dec. 20, 2015 Talavera, Philippines)

Hi Mom :)

Last week was awesome. We had a few more interviews for baptism, so between the 2 companionships in the District we'll be having 6 baptisms this coming week, and 22 as Cabanatuan Zone. Talk about White Christmas!! The baptisms were originally planned for Saturday the 26th, but then ward had the awesome idea of performing them right before the Ward Christmas Party tomorrow, so that's what's going to happen. It so's exciting, haha!
One of the interviews I got to conduct was super beast, just like last week. It's easily my favorite part about the assignment. This week's highlight interview was Jackielyn Cara, Teresa Cara's daughter (Teresa is the one I mentioned last week). She's just like her mom, haha. It was so awesome just being able to sit down and talk with her for half an hour!! Her testimony is already crazy strong, and you can just tell by looking at her how dedicated and devoted she is. She shared with me a bit of her backstory, and it's the coolest thing to see how far she has come. She is still facing bits of persecution and doubt from so-called "friends," but she's fighting hard and winning. Gahhh!!! I LOVE THE GOSPEL!! It's ridiculous how much it changes the lives of so many people, yet there are still so many who reject it!

"The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." - Ezra Taft Benson (from a talk in 1985, "Born of God" - READ IT!!)

This quote means so much more to me now, and carries so much more truth that I just used to look over. I literally can't express how insanely perfect this all is!! So I'll just leave it at that :)

In our work, we have a really strong investigator being baptized with the others on Tuesday as well. Her name is Rosalina Turalba, and she's just a little old Nanay, but her Testimony is solid :) She has four kids, and we've tried to teach one of them, but she's not too interested. Hopefully she'll attend her Mom's baptism, and feel the Spirit there. Two of her other kids are always gone, either at work or play, and the youngest is still too young, but we let her listen and participate in the lesson when she's feeling particularly daring ;) So basically, Christmas is just going to be pretty much awesome :)

Now, less related to how awesome being a Missionary is (but still sort of related), I'd like to tell you about Elder Martel :) I actually first met him because of Sister Dalley. She ran up to me during a Zone conference and said "Elder Syphus! I just found someone who looks EXACLTY like you, except he's Canadian!"
At first I was like "Uuuuuuuuuuuuhhh... okay. I guess that's cool," but what I should've been like is "CANADIAN??!! You mean the master race of all mankind?! WHERE??"
So yeah. Elder Martel is my Zone Leader right now, and he's super awesome. He's the one that conducted Roslina's interview, and he's teaching me how to speak Canadian with words like "Wheeling." So ya. We're pretty much besties now. #nbd

And that's really all I've got for today :) I think we'll just do it how we've always done it, maybe around 10 am here or 7 PMthere? I'll send and email before I call you guys, and I'll find out if I can Google Hangout. Love you!!!

Love
Elder Syphus

During their Christmas Conference, they also celebrated the December Birthdays.  
Glad he was recognized :)



I don't know if this is all of the Angeles mission, but I'm thinking it is?  What an amazing army!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment